Our Team is Growing!
NOW HIRING HIP-HOP WRITING AND RECORDING ARTISTS
Job Title: Full-time Hip-hop Writing and Production Teaching Artist
(multiple positions available)
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Summary: Full-time Teaching Artists with Refresh Collective have a passion and commitment to actively train and mentor youth and teens. Our classroom culture is built on trust and collaboration between our teaching artists and our students. We serve our students and choose to cultivate their artistry, rather than just teach our content. We seek to AMPLIFY their voice, not our own agenda. Our hip-hop production and songwriting curriculums help students grow in creativity, confidence, collaboration and contribution. We see and nurture the therapeutic effects that take place during the creative process.
This Summer/Fall we will be installing and opening our second Cincinnati based Full-time Recording Studio Classroom for the implementation of our proven programming during the 23-24 school year. Our Teaching Artists are fully responsible for this classroom and will be supported by our Cincinnati Program Director and our multi-state Teaching Artists Support team.
- Run music production and Hip-hop songwriting classes and sessions at our recording studio classroom for 7-12th graders (20 students per class.) The Classroom is inside a local High School.
- Implement our proven curriculum and innovate new ways to build bridges between classrooms, students and staff at LCS.
- Adhere to all quiz, assessment, testing, classroom and organizational communication, data collection and reporting calendars and protocols.
- Help develop and implement higher level audio mixing and mastering work-force development curriculum for older students who show high ability and affinity in Audio Engineering, Music Artistry, Music Production and Teaching.
- Lead, train and mentor youth as they create their own collaborative songs and performances.
- Grow rooted community connections by inviting local artists and musicians into our classroom to be recorded by our students, and through off site performances in our community.
- Assess the accomplishments of students on a regular basis and provide progress reports as required.
- Work closely with school staff to ensure our students are meeting and exceeding graduation requirements, specifically those that pertain to workforce development.
- Create a classroom environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity and interest of the students. This will include working closely with all school staff and RC leadership and support staff to find creative ways to re-integrate older students into the 7-9 grade classes as Teaching Assistants.
- Strive to implement, by instruction and action, Refresh Collective’s culture, philosophy, goals and objectives.
- Take all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials, and facilities.
- Build strong relationships with parents, administrators and partners to support youth development and establish open communication and engagement.
- Identify and connect students who would thrive in digital design and screen printing with our Refresh Collective Print Shop + Embroidery Team quickly to create cross training opportunities for those students.
- Experience in teaching/mentoring youth in the classroom - 3 years preferred
- Experience in some or all of the following artistic crafts: Rap Lyric Writing and Performance, Singing, Multiple Instruments (I.E. Piano, Guitar, Bass, Etc.), Digital Music Production, Audio Engineering and Recording (Logic Pro X preferred) - 3 years preferred
- Must be willing to and have a passion for working with students, some of whom are on an alternate path to graduation and may have developmental delays and trauma affected histories.
- Shares our CORE VALUES.
- Passionate about the power therapy through music.
- Enjoys teaching students of varying ages and abilities.
- Humble in attitude and communication.
- Organized and diligent in data collection, classroom planning, and in systems and data management.
- Must pass BCI/FBI background checks
- High School Diploma or G.E.D. (College degree and intervention specialist license preferred)
- 40 hours per week / 12 months per year. (Depending on the school site, class load may vary, but planning bells are always provided.)
- Some quarterly off site trainings, field trips and evening/ or weekend performances.
- Paid vacation included.
- During our interview process, Refresh Collective may want to contract the right individual to take part in some on the job, in classroom training as early as May 2023.
Compensation: 45-60K + 401k
Effective Start Date: July 1st, 2023 or sooner.
After reading this, are you the right person to join our team?
If your heart is jumping at the opportunity to say YES, then email our hiring manger, and we can start to get to know each other more.
Send your resume and a brief explanation as to why you think you could be the right fit to Lee@refreshcollective.org and we will get back to you shortly.